Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese? Say what?!
I love real cheese and real Mac ‘n Cheese, so I’m only posting this recipe because it fooled me and tastes like the real deal. I’m not vegan, so pulling off a non-vegan recipe without it tasting fake is rather impressive. Since this dish leaves out the cheese (and we all know some of the best Mac ‘n Cheese calls for high-fat, high-caloric, and sometimes artificial flavors) it’s actually healthier than the original classic. Don’t worry, the flavor and texture of creamy cheesiness is still there!
- 300g pasta – Penne or Fusilli works great instead of Elbow Macaroni
- 350g (1 cup) chopped potatoes
- 170g (1/2 cup) chopped onion
- 170g (1/2 cup) chopped carrots
- 1 cup water (use from pot of boiled veggies)
- 230g (2/3 cup) raw cashews
- 75g (1/3 cup) coconut milk
- 2 1/2 tbsp nutritional yeast (Hefeflocken in German, not to be confused with plain Hefe or Haferflocken)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- salt & pepper
- couple dashes of cayenne pepper and paprika (optional)
- Soak cashews in hot water for minimum 1 hour.
- Boil and cook pasta until al dente in salted water (usually 6-8 minutes). Drain and set aside.
- Boil potatoes, onion, and carrots in a couple cups of water for about 10 minutes or until tender.
- Use a slotted spoon to place veggies in blender or food processor and add a cup of the boiled water they were in.
- Drain cashews and add them to blender.
- Add remaining ingredients, generous pinches of salt, pepper, and blend until smooth.
- Pour over pasta and enjoy!
Photo cred: Angela Joseph